Pages

5.11.2011

Sake set

Sake cups and Sake bottles.
I was inspired by Sake bottles that were used at Ippiku in Berkely.
Ippuku is fine Japanese tapas in Berkely.
I love not only their food, but also admire their authentic tableware.



I've been throwing organic shape of bowls and cups lately.
I used to like very clean perfect shapes and colors, but I can be very creative making organic shapes. 

I scrape them with the knives, emphasize the stone texture by wiping with sponge, and make a dent... 
Stoneware and Shino seems perfect for organic shapes and colors.


A ceramist mentioned that the unflatted edge of bowls express landscapes of mountain in Japan.
Interesting...


Clay: Stoneware
Glaze: High fire
Cups - Shino brushed on Shino, Opalescent green, Shino brushed on Black
Bottle - Tenmoku brushed on Shino, Iron red

5 comments:

  1. keiko san‘s friend from China, liubin5/19/2011

    sake equals saki?
    what is Ippiku?

    are the cups made in Japan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liubin, thank you for the comment.

    I'm not exactly sure what "Saki" is. But "Sake" is Japanese rice alcohol, and is pronounced "Saki" in English.

    "Ippuku" is a Japanese restaurant in Berkeley California in US. It's so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I made these cups in California.

    ReplyDelete
  4. liu bin from beijing5/22/2011

    thank you for your kindness.

    I have investigated the word 'Sake' from internet, maybe the same as 'saki'.
    In Japanese is '(日本の)酒'。

    btw, the original cups are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liu,
    I agree, "Saki" probably means "酒"

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete